Wednesday, July 29, 2009

If you're going to talk then talk otherwise be quiet...

During my trip to GP I realized I'm a pretty lousy travel companion. I was flying with my dear mother who likes to chat which is fine - if you're going to keep up a conversation - but if you're going to say one thing then stop then wait a minute and say one more thing and then wait a minute and say one more thing then wait a minute and say one thing...(I think you get the idea) it gets annoying.
I love the quiet - silence doesn't scare me it relaxes me - I'm used to travelling alone and as with everything I have my little routine and this one includes me reading in the relative silence of the plane from the moment I get on to the moment we land. I'm not one of those people who strikes up a conversation with the random person sitting next to me - I'm the person who sits there and pretends you all don't exist. It's anti-social - I know.
After 30 minutes of the talk-not talk-talk I finally told my dear mother that I had the read the same three sentences over and over and either we have a conversation or she had to stop talking to me and watch her TV with the earphones I lent her. I'm sure I hurt her feelings - I'm evil.
I tried to make up for it by being pleasant and not tearing a strip off my greedy brother during the trip but I ended up actually getting in trouble for that. Apparantly it would have been appreciated if I HAD stood up to him and told him to stop being such an @$$ - I can't ever get it right. I did try to appease people on this trip, despite the combined 6 hours of sleep I got the two nights I was there - I even bought mom breakfast on our way home and she even let me read my book on the plane :)

No comments: