Saturday, September 15, 2007

So I applied for my NIN...finally

Yesterday I went a VERY sketchy part of London and had an interview to get a National Insurance Number. Even though I'm working right now haven't had a real NIN and therefore been taxed under the "Emergency" tax bracket which means that just under half of my wages have been deducted. Once I get my NIN I should get a refund and taxed properly. When I first got here I wanted to get a NIN right away but there are several things you need first.

1. Employment
2. A letter from your employer detailing your employment.
3. Official mail with you current address ie. Bank Statement or Utility Bill
4. Paystubs from your employer
5. Passport

When I arrived in June I had only one of the above requirements. Then I got a job and a letter but then my Grandfather took a turn for the worse and I quit my job. Then my grandfather passed away and I got my job back.
I've been working for a total of 8 days since coming back so I called the Job Centre Thursday and set up an appointment. The earliest they could get me in was October 22/07 that was a long time to wait but I was prepared to. I happened to call back later that day and they had had a cancellation and said I could come in Friday (Yesterday) at 3pm. So I took a whole bunch of time off work and went in and had the interview and I should be getting my NIN in the mail in 4-6 weeks.
It took me forever to find the place and so I am so glad I was my usual over anxious self and gave myself plenty of time to find it. I did end up arriving half an hour and they didn't end up seeing me until half an hour after my appointment was supposed to be. But that's their perogative if I had been late they wouldn't have seen me at all.
The part of town I was in totally freaked me out. It was SO run down and people were just standing on the sidewalks looking at me walk by. I ended up walking down all these alleys and I swear I must have had "Stupid Tourist" stamped on my forhead because I kept getting turned around and having to look at the map I printed off. (Thank God for maps!). The streets weren't properly marked and I kind of lucked out finding the place. But I found it and I didn't get stabbed score one for me.
I hope everything goes through ok because I definitely do not want to have to go back there I was luck once but...anyways it should go through fine but you never know with these things it's all red tape.

1 comment:

Megs said...

yay sarah! man look at you...becoming a regular ol' citizen you are! soon you won't have stupid tourist on you head! hahahhaha

well i sure hope it goes though too....i dint' know there were sketchy parts of london! ;)

loves!